Spencer, Town of
A Brief History of Spencer
Rich in history, Spencer is located in central Worcester County, twenty minutes west of Worcester via Route 9, and about forty-five minutes form Springfield via Routes 49, 20, and the Massachusetts Turnpike.
Settled in 1717 by Nathaniel Wood, Spencer was incorporated as a town in 1753. It has been established as a district from a part of Leicester. Its name was assigned by Lieutenant Governor Spencer Phipps who had signed the order establishing the district.
In 1784, Spencer was a major stopping place on the Old Boston Post Road's stage route between Boston and Hartford, and on to New York. Passengers changed stages in Spencer as one coach would come from Boston and connect with one coming north from Hartford. Each stagecoach would turn around and return whence it came. Travelers often stopped for the night at Jenk's Tavern in Spencer. Famous visitors were General Henry Knox who pushed his cannons through the streets of the town on his way to Boston from Ticonderoga and George Washington who stayed in 1789.
When the war of Independence broke out in 1774 it found Spencer ready to take part in it. Fifty-six men under Captain Ebenezer Mason immediately set out to Boston. Many of these men later took part in the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Spencer residents also took part in the Civil War. Three hundred and thirteen Spencer men are known to have served. Thirty-two lost their lives in the service of their country.
To read more and learn more about our town, click the globe icon and be linked to our town's website.
- General Henry Knox Trail Marker
- Snowbirds snowmobile club
- Spencer State Forest
- Phone: (508) 885-7500 x150
- Phone: (508) 885-7500 x170
- Phone: (508) 885-6333
- Phone: (508) 885-7500 x155