Skip to content

Ware, Town of

Ware, Town of


About Us

The land that now makes up the Town of Ware was originally granted to John Read in 1716. He named the district ?The Manour of Peace?and established an early settlement there. As the town grew and flourished, the current name of Ware was adopted. It is believed to have its roots in the Native American word ?Nenameseck? for the weirs or fish traps that were used at the base of the falls on the Ware River. The town?s seal commemorates this fact and activity, depicting the taking of salmon from a productive spot just below the falls.

Early settlement of the district was focused in Ware Center (located on Route 9), an area somewhat west of where the Main St. shopping district is now located. As the colonies expanded west, commercial travelers along the Bay Path found Ware to be a convenient stopping point. A vigorous service economy replete with numerous inns and taverns was soon established. By the early 18th century, attention had focused on the potential for industrial development to be powered by the abundant waters of the Ware River as it rushed over the falls near the eastern edge of town. Jabez Olmstead and Judah Marsh are named among the early industrialists who built saw and grist mills on the river and its tributaries. To Read and learn more click the globe icon to link to The Town of Ware'sd Homepage.


  • Ware-Hardwick Covered Bridge
  • Ware Center Meeting House
  • Clothing Mills
  • Town Pool / Park
  • Grenville Park

Rep/Contact Info

Veterans Agent
  • Phone: (413) 967-9635
Planning Board
  • Phone: (413) 967-9637
Tax Collector
  • Phone: (413) 967-9602
Thomas Coulombe
  • Phone: (413) 967-5901
Shawn Crevier
  • Phone: (413) 967-3571
Board of Health
  • Phone: (413) 967-9615
Lynn Lak
Historical Commission
  • Phone: (413) 967-7223
Nancy Talbot
Town Clerk
  • Phone: (413) 967-9648 x103